Sunday, May 13, 2007

King of wishful thinking

Went to a friend's barbecue (bbq) last Saturday. Had a really fun time, especially after a roller-coaster ride for the past one month. To my fans out there, I like to apologize to my fans for the brief absence.

Anyway, back to bbq, I must say it was one that offered both delectable food and good company. For the latter, I got to know a group of French friends in this social get-together.

Come to think of it, I never have the chance to rub shoulders with French crowd, let alone a decent conversation. Guess I have the misconception that they only converse in French. Much to my surprise, most of them speak quite fluent English. Being gregarious in nature,I took the first move to break the ice and introduced them to sample the Asian food that my friend prepared. And this could spell the start of another international friendship as phone numbers were swapped among the group.

Honestly, I wish one of these days, mankind would be free of language barrier to encourage more interaction globally. Just take English for example, one could have easily misconstrue the language like the following, which I picked up over the internet:

# "Ladies, leave your clothes here and spend the afternoon having a good time." -- A sign in a laundry in Rome.

# "Please leave your values at the front desk." -- A sign in a Paris hotel.

# "Refund!" -- "Caution," as translated into Italian on a "wet floor" sign in an Italian McDonald's.

# "Ladies are requested not to have children in the bar." -- A sign in a Norwegian cocktail lounge.

# "Don't get into this." -- A sign in Japan with the universal "do not enter" symbol

# "Please waste." -- Signs on trash cans in an amusement park in Osaka, Japan.

# "You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid." -- A sign in a Japanese hotel.

Just my wishful thinking...