Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fallin' For You

In view of the imminent Grand Prix in Singapore, I have been spending more time thinking of Formula One (F1) car racing. For those who have not been following my blogs, I carry the torch for Finish driver, Kimi Raikkonen. As a lady fan, I even have one friend asking why I am following Formula 1 (F1). There you go!

Almost everyone has an idol at one point in his life. However, my primary motivation for idolizing someone is help me relate /attempt to understand the sports better. Decades back, I was drawn into local football frenzy. It certainly helped me to understand the game better when I had my eyes on 'The Dazzler', V. Sundramoorthy - a Singaporean footballer in the 1980s and 1990s, and widely touted as one of the country's most skillful and talented footballers ever.

However, I do realize that idolizing people is one of the most risky things that most of us do. It is true that some people educe reverence and admiration and it is likely that they become our role models. But as long as we don't go overboard, it is still fine.

The main reason why we shouldn't do this is because when we idolize a person they seem to be beyond our reach, we tend to believe that we can never be where they are. In idolizing others, we tend to lose all our self confidence which should not be encouraged.

And the greater the number of role models the worst is the situation. We believe that the people whom we idolize are a class above us that we can never be like them. In doing so, we would contradict the sayings of Nelson Mandela who rightly pointed out that "greatness is not in just some of us, it is in all of us".

Now, shall we start by boycotting "Singapore Idol"?:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home