Friday, February 16, 2007

People need love

Finally got over my bane on 14th February, Valentine Day* . It is a day where lovers show their love for each other. Some of the common gifts include flowers, cards, or candies. Coincidentally, one of my colleagues received a big bouquet of flowers in the office from her hubby. And the surprise made us green with envy!

Actually it's no big deal.. After all, everyday is Valentine day (V's day) if you treat each other with care and concern. Just that the restaurants and florists are quick to capitalize on this very day to "wring" additional money from consumers by offering exorbitant flowers and lavish Valentine's dinner for the couples. Though I need to point out here that the die-hard romantic couples advocating this occasion are willing buyers themselves.

Now you have the opportunity to spend V's day alone like I had, you would be in a strong position to concur with me that dining with yourself on this day is best discouraged. What happened was I had to attend class on V's day. So I went to the Japanese restaurant nearby for a quick bite before class. Immediately when I walked in, I noticed that all the diners seemed to fall into a predictable pattern. In a pair, specifically! Being the exclusive patron, one couldn't help longing for an accompanying partner to avoid the distressing stares.

Next, after surviving the looks from the couplely diners, one had to pray hard that a table by the corner was available. Much to my relief, my prayer was heard and I was happily seated at the back of the restaurant. To portray an intrepid outlook, engaging in a conversation with the waiter always helped. The sweet whispering of lovers' lingo on this day certainly did not chase the discomfort that I was the sole survivor. Putting on a doughty front, I ordered my items swiftly and gobbled them down as fast as I could. Will spare all with my close brush with death as I almost choked during the process..

My takeaway is that unless you enjoy the solitude attention, please stay away from public eating places on this special day made for couples, at least in the peewee island of Singapore.

I could be wrong, unless you wish to share your thoughts with me?


*Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home