Saturday, February 21, 2009

Intimidated

Was assisting my colleagues to purchase plaques for a workshop overseas. As it was a last-minute order, the supplier has requested that we self-collect the items upon completion. Fortunately, I managed to induce the supplier to courier the items to our organization by today, so my colleagues could take the gifts with them to the airport tomorrow.

Then, I spotted an error. As it was too late to send back to the vendor for correction, I let it pass. I was hopeful that my colleagues would do the same after I emailed them that the delivery was just on time. I was in for a surprise! One of them called me to contact the vendor to resend a new plaque. I told him that I would try and it may not be possible given such short notice. Out of the blue, he said "Then I would sue the supplier".

At this point, I felt "intimidated" as I could not guarantee that the supplier could assist the replacement by tomorrow. Thankfully, the negotiation turned out smoothly and I shall spare you of the details.

My point is one does not need to overawe anybody in order to get things done (whether he is joking or not). In my opinion, it is definitely more fruitful when the issue/s could be communicated to the other party in a calm manner. Feeling the guilt, the person at fault would be more inclined to rectify to his best efforts. I believe this could be applied on a personal basis too. What would be your approach?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home