Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Happy

Just realize the power of internal happiness. Although I say "hello" and feel perfectly friendly, I don't actually smile much. And I’ve been trying to change that...

I'm aware of this because when I do smile, it has an unfamiliar feeling. The recent being the run I did at the gym near my place yesterday. For some reasons, most users at the gym were smiling to me. Strangely, I have been there many times but have not received such positive experience.

Case in point 1: The gym was packed with people, particularly the treadmill section. Patiently, I waited for my turn. We exchanged smiles after the guy ahead of me finished his run. For some reasons, I could not get to start the machine *sheepish smile* Suddenly, he turned back and tried to help. Albeit he was unsuccessful, he offered to get the staff to assist. So nice!

Case in point 2: Upon our eye contact, the lady next to me, who was using the treadmill also smiled at me warmly. She is a senior resident and I was quite inspired by her spirited walk. We chatted briefly and it was an enjoyable run. I wished her fun in her workout in my warm tone and she replied me cordially with a big smile.

My experience shows that emotions are infectious. If I seem friendly and happy, I’ll help communicate that mood to other people. And attraction is reciprocal; we tend to like people who seem to like us. So if I’m smiling and friendly to a person, that person is more likely to feel friendly toward me. Finally, I see some light why my friend always seem to attract smiley faces.:)

This supports the theory that true and lasting happiness always comes from within and is a direct result of how we process the realities. Being in a happy state of mine, I also seem to have affected people around me. Now I believe that my happiness is not dependent on what have happened or what I have. Like everybody out there, I do not have control over the externals of my life, but I certainly have control over how I can react to life internally. And of course, with a sunny smile.:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Smile is infectious. So is a frown. A smile makes the world go around I believe.

March 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger Pfeiffer said...

Indeed. Incidentally, I seemed to be atttracting the 20-something boys at the gym. Haha..

March 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home