Sunday, August 19, 2007

Every Day Is A Winding Road

I’m a Bus Person.

Last night, I took a bus home after dinner with a friend. For some reason, the bus took long usual. I was abnormally tired and was raising my eyebrow like other passengers. After waiting in vain for the bus for 20 minutes, I could think of two possible explanations:

1. The Earth had stopped rotating and I didn’t live on the lucky side of the planet.

2. The local bus company, SBS had forgotten to send the last bus.

I moved to plan 2 and checked the time. This was easier and confirmed my belief that the last bus was not yet due. All it required was looking out for the bus constantly. Suddenly, I saw bus 57 creeping towards the bus stop. Thank god!

After a few stops, the bus captain came to halt and took off the bus sign strangely. Then he just continued to drive the existing passengers to their destinations, without picking up more people for the rest of the journey.

Naturally, we were curious, albeit enjoying the VIP ride. A further chat with him disclosed that he was asked to drive the bus to ferry the crowd in depot area due a a lack of buses, before returning to Bukit Merah bus terminal for another full trip.

As he had picked me at depot road, and my destination was in Toa Payoh (other end of the bus ride), he had decided to fulfill his responsibility by sending me all the way home.

I must say I have never been impressed by our SBS bus service. The exceptional service by this captain has certainly left a favorble impression of our bus service:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

I suppose driving a bus day in and day out is pretty stressful - what with irate passengers and bad traffic. I imagine the drivers probably face fire for not sticking to schedules too. It is amazing that even against such odds, the drivers present a good 'face' to the public. While riding, I might delay some buses (narrow lanes) but when I wave and an apology, I get a wave back - That is something :)

It is difficult to be not impressed eh.

August 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home