Thursday, March 05, 2009

Raindrops Falling On My Head

Accepted a friend's dinner invitation last Saturday. In total, five of us were invited to fine dining at a lavish Indian restaurant. Somehow, I find the notion of fine dining exorbitant during this economic downturn.

So how bad is it? My friends and I have been shopping this week, out of necessity. I didn't see as many buyers at the malls we visited. Even the most popular travel fair saw a drop in visitors last weekend, a favourite pastime of Singaporeans. I think it will be a while before the economy picks up.

Restaurant business has fallen considerably. Only fast food and hawker centres selling economical or affordable set meals could draw the discerning customers. I also expect some restaurants to fold up. Even STB (Singapore Tourism Board) has tried to make up for the loss of travellers by extending free tickets to our sightseeing spots to the locals.

I think we would bounce back. Like the past recessions, the resilient Singaporeans would always find ways to be happy. And I don't believe the economy will recover in 2010 as the experts have forecasted. Guess there's one song that we could find hope now, that is, "Don't worry be happy".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home