Monday, September 22, 2008

Yesterday Once More

Last Sunday, my sister, my friends and I made our way to Pulau Ubin, a small island off the northern coast of Singapore in search of some adventure.

Charming villages - known as kampongs by the locals, dispersed over the island was a pleasant sight to urban dwellers like I.

If you ask the remnants of the island, the best way to see Pulau Ubin is on bicycle. Hence, we approached one of shops renting out bicycles. For a group of four, we managed to rent some mountain bikes at pretty economical prices by the jetty.

There are lots of forests, plantations and abandoned orchards one can explore. Visit old houses built on stilts or look for fascinating range of plants, birds and small animals. With a stroke of luck, we even crossed the path of the Wild Pig, which is usually difficult to see as it hides in the forest. Totally speechless!

Before we set off for our biking trail, my foreign friend volunteered to be the guide for the group as the rest (all Singaporeans including I) have not set foot on the island before. Still better late than never:P

Armed with bicycles brakes, we took off happily heading towards the northern side of the island, Chek Jawa. It is a natural beach teeming with marine wildlife, boasts a collection of distinct habitats like mangroves, sandy beaches, and mudflats.

We were enjoying the ride on flat roads in the beginning. Soon, the journey took toll on us when we were treated to up slopes and down slopes unexpectedly. For the former, I learnt that I needed to adjust the gear to a lower level, so as not to put in unnecessary efforts.

To manage the fast downturn (literally), I was advised by my sister to squeeze the brakes gently in order to reduce the speed brought about from higher points on a slope. Not pedalling on the bike is the other way to enjoy the free ride on a down slope.

Adrenaline pumping!! Wohoooooooo..I did it.... as this was my first biking ride out of Singapore.. and I was still in excitement..having endless talks with my friends...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home