Sunday, April 19, 2009

Fearless

Had a run today. Feeling good, I headed to the market place to take away breakfast for my family. From a distance, a queue was evident seen at my favourite stall. Despite seeing the crowd, my desire for hot piping mee houn did not waver slightest.

Around nine to ten people were in the queue. I was the last in the line. Determined to enjoy the breakfast, I grinned on. Just then, a middle age lady sneaked up to the guy ahead of me with a ten-dollar note and asked him a favour. As one who does not mince words, I did not hesitate to interrupt her conversation when I realized her "intention". I asked why she could not buy her own breakfast and imposed on others to get for her. More importantly, it wouldn't be fair to others in the queue. She just shrugged off and whispered that she had joined the queue earlier.. Not wanting to rest the case, I pursued and insisted she could have re-join the queue now.

Then the young man before me offered to let me take his position, so he could buy the breakfast for the lady. Honestly, I was appalled at the man's attitude! By his act, he was not condoning her behaviour but giving her the wrong signal that this was acceptable. At this point, I was filled with dismay especially when I saw the lady whom he was assisting happily eating her breakfast with a friend at the nearby table, oblivious to my stare. Is this the "gracious" society that we are trying to achieve?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home